Sunday, March 15, 2015

How do I do both? Read and find text features!

Text features are always an interesting concept to teach. I want my students to still be reading, yet I want them to identify the text features. So how do I tackle both at once? Read on!

1. Text feature walk!
Have them read the book, but as they read stop and write down the text features! 
It's essential to have some great nonfiction books with a lot of text features!


2. Label those text features with post its!
The kids love this and I just cut my sticky notes into little strips!
3. Play some great text feature games! 
Memory
Bingo
I have who has

I had my student teacher make these and they have been great!

4. Use a passage as their assessment 
I'm big on having the kids mark the text! They read the passage and marked the text and were to box the evidence.
After they boxed the evidence, I had them label what each text feature was.

There you have it! They practiced text features while still reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment